NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This week, TheStreet's Jim Cramer took Costco (COST) shares out of his charitable trust because he doesn’t think anyone can get retail margins with Amazon (AMZN) so anxious to grow and willing to cut prices to the bone in order to do so.
I think he may be misreading the situation.
First, Amazon does have margin. If you are addicted to, say, those fancy dried mandarin oranges made by SunOpta’s (STKL) Nature's Finest unit, Amazon isn’t selling it to you at cost. It's making money on the deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV