Eurozone PMI is still in a slump, and stocks are mostly above their historic PE medians
The shine has come off European equities recently as a combination of geopolitical tension and concerns about the financial system raised by the Banco Espirito Santo SA ELI:BES scandal have caused asset managers to reduce the eurozone overweight they've had since the beginning of the year. According to Goldman Sachs' Macro-data Assessment Platform MAP, which measures actual stock price performance against macro indicators, Europe has been underperforming recently, but it could have even further to fall.
European equities underperforms relative to macro indicators, but PMI tells another story
Whether you break down performance by country or region, Europe is lagging while emerging markets outperform and the US continues to surprise to the upside, conclude Goldman Sachs analysts Noah Weisberger and Aleksandar Timcenko, based on the investment bank's MAP measure.The mismatch between macro indicators and stock price performance should make you wonder if some healthy companies are getting caught up in the fears about tension between Russia and Ukraine, but there is one indicator that should give you pause: eurozone PMI has been in a slump. On the other hand, Weisberger and Timcenko point out that the euro appears to be at the beginning of longer term weakening based on two-year swaps. Whether that signals market concerns about the European economy or the expectation that the European Central Bank will take stronger action to fight deflation, it should at least be good for export-oriented parts of the economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV