NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Guess
(GES - Get Report) shares closed trading up 1.7% to $25.48 on heavy volume after having coverage initiated with a "buy" rating and $31 price target by analysts at Wunderlich Securities on Thursday.
The firm gave the company a vote of confidence based on the belief that Guess' new leadership will be able to turn domestic sales around.
The price target represents a 21.7% increase from the stock's closing price today.
Must Read: Warren Buffett’s 25 Favorite Stocks
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer’s multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
TheStreet Ratings team rates GUESS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate GUESS INC (GES) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GES's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, GES has a quick ratio of 2.17, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- GES, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GUESS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.62%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -0.42% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.23 million or 100.73% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GES Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts