Both the First Trust Dow Jones Internet Index (FDN) and SPDR S&P Biotech (XBI) exchange-traded funds led markets higher Wednesday, fueled by the better-than-expected earnings season and improving outlooks.
Read More: 8 Stocks George Soros Is Buying in 2014
FDN data by YCharts Last month, Yellen signaled during her testimony on policy that interest rates will likely remain low and monetary policy will remain "accommodative," but she identified social media and some biotech stocks as looking "frothy." Yellen warned that investors may be reaching for yield and perhaps taking on too much risk. Read More: 7 Stocks Jim Cramer Sees Ripe for Takeover These comments sparked a selloff in both sectors and contributed to the decline in U.S. equities over the past month. But recently the ETFs representing social media and biotech surged higher as impressive quarterly results have strengthened the fundamental outlook of each sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV