The business to be acquired, which Avago bought as part of its $6.6 billion purchase of LSI earlier this year, generated sales of about $113 million in 2013 and employs 650. The purchase is part of Santa Clara, Calif.-based Intel's push to expand its business making chips for use in mobile applications.
Intel vice president Rose Schooler in a post on the company's web site said that with the purchase the company "gains a compelling product line and talented team to continue to deliver" on its goal of making chips that deliver wireless services.
The sale continues a streamlining of Singapore-based Avago following its LSI purchase. The company, a one-time unit of Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) that was spun out in 2005, in May announced plans to sell the LSI flash business to Seagate Technology (STX) for about $450 million in cash.Avago bought LSI primarily to gain exposure into the enterprise storage market, and management indicated at the time the LSI deal closed that it might seek to offload certain businesses it considered non-core. The Deal reported earlier this year that Axxia was a potential target. The transaction, which is expected to be completed before year's end, continues a busy summer of dealmaking in the semiconductor sector. In June SanDisk (SNDK) announced a $1.1 billion cash deal acquire Fusion-io (FIO). ON Semiconductor committed $400 million to buy Aptina Imaging and Analog Devices (ADI) announced a $2 billion deal to acquire Hittite Microwave. Vishay Intertechnology (VSH) in July said it would buy Taiwanese chipmaker Capella Microsystems for $205 million, while PLX Technology (PLXT) was sold to Avago for $309 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV