Embedded video will give advertisers another way to engage with users, and Twitter another way to generate revenue
Twitter Inc (TWTR) rolled out its new video advertising service today following 'months of experiments and feedback' in its latest attempt to generate better revenues from the popular microblogging platform.
"Video is an incredible storytelling medium and we're thrilled to be giving brands, publishers and a subset of verified users the ability to share organic and Promoted Video on Twitter," writes Twitter Inc (TWTR) senior product manager of TV and Video David Regan.
Twitter will charge advertisers every time a video is startedPart of the Twitter Inc (TWTR) Amplify program, Promoted Video will let publishers and advertisers embed videos into their tweets so that people can view them simply by tapping on the image. The program will use a cost per view CPV ad buying model that charges for every time someone starts a video, though Twitter will also supply completion rates, reach, engagement and other analytics so that advertisers can gauge how effective the videos are. Unlike Facebook's embedded videos which have started playing in people's timeline and which start playing on their own, muted, Twitter videos will black out the rest of the smartphone screen while they are playing. Twitter Inc (TWTR) says that it wants to expand embedded video to content producers and some other users so that video becomes a normal part of everyone's Twitter experience, but it's going to do so slowly, which seems wise. The prospect of hijacked hashtags complete with offensive videos could go downhill quickly. Twitter still riding high from 2Q earnings beat
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV