NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The alcohol industry has global sales estimated at $1.163 trillion a year. U.S. sales totaled $197.8 billion in 2012, according to the most recent data available from the Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of America.
Domestic beer sales accounted for 49% of that total --87% of consumption by volume-- followed by spirits, 36%, and wine, 15%.
Americans collectively consumed 9.4 billion gallons of alcoholic beverages in 2012, second only to 13.5 billion gallons of soft drinks.
Spirits are proving to be more popular among millennials --those born between 1980 and 2000-- shown by the 13.3% growth in consumption over the five years from 2007 to 2012. Over the same time period, wine consumption grew 9%, while beer consumption declined 4.3%.What follows are six alcohol industry stocks, ranked by our own proprietary quantitative ranking system at TheStreetRatings.com. Note that these ratings can change at any time. If you would like access to real-time ratings of these stocks, you can subscribe to TheStreet Quant Ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV