NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer says July's aggregate retail sales were surprisingly weak and investors don't really know why, given the fact that employment numbers are improving, gasoline prices are decreasing and home affordability is getting better.
Cramer theorizes that Amazon (AMZN) is taking a lot of sales, as the online retailer's sales spiked recently. He points to Macy's (M) number on Wednesday, which indicated that J.C. Penney (JCP) could be taking some sales. Cramer says there is more competition in retail than investors thought, which is driving the price down and overall in aggregate is taking down retail sales.
Cramer suggests investors watch autos, which did not report good numbers. Ford (F) received an upgrade, but Cramer preaches caution in autos. He adds he likes GM (GM) because of yield, which will benefit from lower interest rates thanks to the retail sales number.
"We rate GENERAL MOTORS CO (GM) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself." You can view the full analysis from the report here: GM Ratings Report EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer’s multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV