First, employment in low-wage businesses such as retailing and restaurant work came back, helping restrain average paychecks and hurting retailers. By late last year, higher-paying jobs in professional services began to grow again.
Only in the most-recent reports are we seeing growth in the Holy Trinity of the middle class (to stretch the point slightly): government employment, construction and manufacturing. All of them are still way down from pre-recession levels.
Although manufacturing has some long-term issues that are going to keep employment from coming nearly all the way back, and Washington is still determined to contain spending and cut the federal deficit, all three sectors have resumed growth in recent months.
So though the data are nasty this month, it may not last. The job base that drives retail spending is improving steadily -- not just in the number of jobs, but also now in the type of jobs we're seeing. Economists at PNC Financial added Wednesday that falling gas prices are also going to help -- an argument TheStreet's Jim Cramer also made recently.
Even as it cut its forecast, Macy's said it saw signs of rising consumer confidence and maintained its profit forecasts. "There's a retail trade brewing here,'' Cramer said.
All of this isn't likely to help much when Walmart (WMT) and Nordstrom (JWN) report their quarterly results on Thursday. But it will help soon.
Want a Hydrogen-Fueled Car? It Will Cost You Double
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV