This be by Ben Levine for Kapitall.
It be for some time now that the media industry has been cryin’ “avast ye!” from the crow’s nest with regard to the growin’ ranks o’ would-be moviegoin’ swabbies who be piratin’ movies and TV shows for free—hornswagglin’ the companies out o’ what they say be their rightful booty. The quarrel even led to a congressional bill, which was proffered in 2011 but took a walk to the briny in 2012 because o’ what the lads and lasses considered its overreaching ambitions and a refusal to parley.
In spite o’ ongoin’ fears o’ the dangers that these privateers o’ the online seas pose to the entertainment industry, 2013 box office bounty totals keelhauled the 2012 numbers, handsomely reapin’ $10,923.6 billion in loot, and addin’ some $86 million more to the coffers than the year past. The unfurlin’ o’ annual earnings, though partly brought around by the winds o’ pricier ticket options like 3D and IMAX, has many convinced that piratin’ be nary hurtin’ the movie industry at the box office.
At 2013’s end, the piratin’ news site torrentfreak published a measurin’ o’ the movies and shows that were most highly pilfered through the file-sharin’ service BitTorrent an’, what’s more, the estimated number o’ downloads. Even so, the list don’t factor in other methods or file-sharin’ man-o’-wars by which pirates plundered these landlubbers o’ their movies and shows. Adaptin’ the list, we be includin’ the networks, production companies, an’ distributors behind each item o’ the lists:The films:
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Warner Bros. ( TWX) 8.4M (est. downloads)
2. Django Unchained – Weinstein / Columbia ( SNE) 8.1M
3. Fast And Furious 6 – Universal ( CMCSA) 7.9M
4. Iron Man 3 – Disney ( DIS) 7.6M
5. Silver Linings Playbook – Weinstein 7.5M
6. Star Trek Into Darkness – Paramount ( VIA) 7.4M
7. Gangster Squad – Warner Bros. ( TWX) 7.2M
8. Now You See Me - Lions Gate ( LGF) 7.0M
9. The Hangover Part 3 – Warner Bros. ( TWX) 6.9M
10. World War Z – Paramount ( VIA) 6.7M The shows:
1. Game of Thrones – HBO ( TWX) 5.9M (est. downloads)
2. Breaking Bad – AMC ( AMCX) 4.2M
3. The Walking Dead – AMC ( AMCX) 3.6M
4. The Big Bang Theory – CBS ( CBS) 3.4M
5. Dexter – Showtime ( CBS) 3.1M
6. How I Met Your Mother – CBS ( CBS) 3.0M
7. Suits – USA – NBCUniversal ( CMCSA) 2.6M
8. Homeland – Showtime ( CBS) 2.4M
9. Vikings – History – A+E ( DIS) 2.3M
10. Arrow – The CW ( CBS)/( TWX) 2.2M Takin’ a gander at the public trade ships behind the lot o’ these projects, we totaled the estimated sum o’ downloads for each—an’ of course we be takin’ split ownership (like The CW) into consideration—to be formin’ the PirateDex, a list showin’ the most preyed-upon companies o’ the film and television industries, along with the piratin’ totals compared to the size o’ the companies..
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts