NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The stock indexes on Monday extended their gains from Friday. The DJIA was higher by 16.05 points to close at 16569.98 while the S&P 500 was higher by 5.33 to close at 1936.92. The Nasdaq gained 30.43 to finish at 4401.33 and the Russell 2000 was higher by 10.58 to close at 1141.93.
It shall be noted that all the indexes were well off their daily highs and the volume continued to decelerate on the up days versus the down days.
The S&P 500 Trust Series ETF (SPY) volume came in at over 74 million shares. That volume was down from the 117 million shares Friday when the S&P 500 was up over 1% and well below the 135 million shares traded last Thursday, a down day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV