NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Tata Motors (TTM) closed up 7.51% to $41.11 on very heavy trading volume after the India-based automaker said its Jaguar Land Rover PLC more than doubled net profit in the latest quarter on strong sales of its luxury sports cars and SUV vehicles, shoring up earnings at the parent company as sales in India slow, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Tata Motors said net profit rose more than threefold to 53.98 billion Indian rupees ($883.8 million) for the quarter through June as revenue jumped 38% to 646.83 billion rupees. Net profit at wholly owned Jaguar Land Rover jumped to 693 million pounds ($1.16 billion) from 304 million pounds.
Jaguar Land Rover continued to benefit from surging demand for luxury cars and SUVs in North America, as well as in China and other emerging markets, the Journal said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett’s 25 Favorite Stocks
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer’s multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV