NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SIGA Technologies (SIGA) plunged to a 52-week low of $1.62 on Monday after a Delaware court ruled the company must pay a lump sum in damages to PharmAthene (PIP) for the value of its lost profits from SIGA's smallpox vaccine Tecovirimat.
The court also demanded SIGA pay prejudgment interest and some percentages of PharmAthene's attorneys' and witness fees. SIGA announced that the award amount, which has not yet been determined, would be "substantial," but it intends to appeal the ruling. SIGA also said the damages would be based on U.S. government purchases of Tecovirimat "supposedly anticipated in 2006."
PharmAthene sued for a breach of contract in 2006. PharmAthene and SIGA had previously negotiated a merger, which would include a license for PharmAthene to SIGA's vaccine that would be negotiated on in good faith if the merger agreement fell apart. It did just that, and PharmAthene sued for a license on the vaccine and damages for lost profits.
Must Read: Warren Buffett’s 25 Favorite StocksEXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer’s multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE. SIGA CEO Dr. Eric A. Rose said in a statement the company remains "committed to performing under SIGA's contract with" the government's Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority and obtaining Food and Drug Administration approval for Tecovirimat. SIGA was down 35.4% to $1.77 at 3:29 p.m. More than 2.3 million shares had changed hands, compared to the average volume of 218,385. SIGA data by YCharts
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer’s multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he and Stephanie Link think could be potentially HUGE winners. Click here to see the holdings for FREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV