At around $121, shares of the Dow Jones Industrial Average member are down nearly 12% for the year to date. Since hitting a 52-week high on Jan. 22 of $144.57 shares nosedived more than 18%, hitting a 10-month low of $117.87 on August 6.
Read More: 4 Stocks Warren Buffett Is Selling in 2014
Yes, the company hasn't had an easy time with its production system for building its 787 Dreamliner but Boeing is still on track to build 110 of them by year's end. That's 70% more 787s than were built in 2013, with the number slated to increase.Investors forget that Boeing is working on fulfilling orders for over 1,000 Dreamliners booked over the past decade. The faster the company can deliver these fuel-efficient state-of-the-art jets, the quicker it will recover the nearly $33 billion spent so far to manufacture them. As of the end of July Boeing had 273 net orders for wide body jetliners versus a minus 27 for Airbus due to cancellations, according to Reuters. When it comes to its business model Boeing still has its lucrative defense division fulfilling orders from governments worldwide. With situations heating up in Ukraine and the Middle East I expect defense contract work to be robust over the next 12 months.
BA data by YCharts Boeing has 837 back orders for all types of planes so far in 2014 with a record 324 orders in July alone. This helps explain its remarkable year-over-year quarterly earnings growth of 59%. Read More: 10 Stocks Carl Icahn Loves in 2014 The company's trailing 12-month return-on-equity (red line) is a stellar 42%. Like passengers awakening from an on board nap, investors are beginning to wake up to Boeing as a strong total return investment theme.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV