NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of health and wellness product retailer GNC Holdings (GNC) are rising in early trading after analysts at Credit Suisse upgraded the stock. Additionally, the research firm said it remains "intrigued" about the potential for a merger between the company and its peer Vitamin Shoppe (VSI).
WHAT'S NEW: In a note to investors this morning, Credit Suisse analysts Gary Balter and Andrew Kinder increased their rating on GNC shares to Outperform from Neutral, citing confidence in the company's CEO, Michael Archbold, and the stock's recent underperformance following earnings misses in its last three consecutive quarters. The analysts contend that GNC has a loyal customer base and that some changes to its cost base, store count and franchise terms could lead it to better results. Credit Suisse maintained its $43 price target on shares of GNC.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: The analysts also stated that they "remain intrigued" by the potential for a merger between GNC and its rival Vitamin Shoppe. The two companies have a high degree of store overlap and Vitamin Shoppe would get the sports nutrition and manufacturing operations that it is "currently chasing through dilutive investments" by combining with GNC, the analysts wrote. The research note also pointed out that Archbold, who was appointed GNC's CEO just last week, previously served as the Chief Operating Officer and as the Chief Financial Officer of Vitamin Shoppe and that he has a "rich history with private equity funds."
PRICE ACTION: Shares of GNC Holdings rose $1.31, or 4.01%, to $33.98 in mid-morning trading, while Vitamin Shoppe gained $1.06, or 2.82%, to $38.61.Reporting by Jason Keil.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV