NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett is America's most well-known value investor. He has eclipsed the notoriety of his mentor and founder of value investing, Benjamin Graham. Warren Buffett's investing style has evolved significantly since his start as a value investor. When asked about his style, Warren Buffett says he is 85% Benjamin Graham and 15% Philip Fisher.
Read More: Warren Buffett's Top 25 Stocks for 2014
Philip Fisher's investment strategy was to focus the bulk of his portfolio into a few positions, and to look for businesses with a long growth runway ahead. Benjamin Graham's investment strategy was to purchase stocks for less than their intrinsic value; classic value investing. Warren Buffett looks for solid growth businesses that are trading at fair or better prices, not cheap businesses that have adequate growth.
It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price. -Warren BuffettWarren Buffett's Top 7 Picks Warren Buffett's top seven largest positions by portfolio weight are examined below to see if the Oracle of Omaha's portfolio matches his advice.
- Wells Fargo (WFC), 22% of portfolio
- Coca-Cola (KO), 15% of portfolio
- American Express (AXP), 13% of portfolio
- International Business Machines (IBM), 12% of portfolio
- Procter & Gamble (PG), 4% of portfolio
- Exxon Mobil (XOM), 4% of portfolio
- Wal-Mart (WMT), 4% of portfolio
KO Dividend data by YCharts Read More: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV