The firm said it raised its rating on the independent oil and natural gas exploration company based on a valuation call.
Gulfport opened higher by 1.83% to $56.76 today.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates GULFPORT ENERGY CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate GULFPORT ENERGY CORP (GPOR) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, expanding profit margins, increase in net income and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- GPOR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 63.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for GULFPORT ENERGY CORP is currently very high, coming in at 73.75%. Regardless of GPOR's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GPOR's net profit margin of 41.79% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 9.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $43.83 million to $47.85 million.
- GULFPORT ENERGY CORP reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GULFPORT ENERGY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.99 versus $1.28 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 64.3% in earnings ($0.71 versus $1.99).
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: GPOR Ratings Report