The multinational is currently in the process of buying Sumitomo Electric's 25% stake in a joint venture in Japan for, reportedly, $885 million, in addition to paying cash dividends worth $556 million to shareholders in an effort to repurchase $1.4 billion of its own shares during the quarter.
The company's full year's earnings per share are expected to be $7.30-$7.55, with organic sales anticipated to improve by 3%-6%. The spike in cash flow and steadily decreasing debt-to-equity ratio observed during the past few years combined with its current bond rating of AA- suggest a strong return on investment and a good financial position. 3M is expected to yield better returns during the current fiscal.
At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned, although positions may change at any time.This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. TheStreet Ratings team rates 3M CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate 3M CO (MMM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- MMM's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.40, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.10, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Industrial Conglomerates industry and the overall market, 3M CO's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for 3M CO is rather high; currently it is at 52.96%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 15.57% is above that of the industry average.
- The stock has not only risen over the past year, it has done so at a faster pace than the S&P 500, reflecting the earnings growth and other positive factors similar to those we have cited here. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MMM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV