Christie Vetoes Sports Betting Bill in New Jersey
By Jill Colvin
HOBOKEN, N.J. — Gov. Chris Christie has vetoed legislation that would have paved the way for sports wagering at New Jersey's casinos and racetracks.
On Friday, Christie rejected a bill that would have pushed New Jersey to circumvent a federal law banning gambling on professional and college sports in the state. The U.S. Supreme Court recently declined to take up the state's case, which means the ban stands.
While Christie said he mounted "a spirited legal effort" to try to change the law, he said he was unwilling to go along with an attempt to bypass the court.
"Ignoring federal law, rather than working to reform federal standards, is counter to our democratic traditions and inconsistent with the Constitutional values I have sworn to defend and protect," he wrote in his veto message.
Both chambers of the Legislature overwhelmingly passed the bill in June, days after the top court's ruling.
Christie, who is considering a run for president, seemed indifferent at the time, saying, "They said 'no,' so we have to move on."
Assembly Democrat Ralph Caputo, a sponsor of the legislation, called Christie's decision disappointing and said the state is running out of options for raising revenue.
"The legislation would have been a much-needed shot in the arm for Atlantic City and our racetracks, in particular," he said in a statement. "This was a viable opportunity to increase revenue and help rejuvenate New Jersey's casino industry, and we didn't take it."
Christie said he was open to exploring other approaches for allowing the wagers that comply with federal law.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV