The 10 Most Expensive Cities in America
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wouldn't it be nice if we all could walk through life without those pesky financial worries that so often prevent us from having a good time?
Many of us stop to ask ourselves "Can I really afford to buy this?" before making a fun purchase. Perhaps you’re debating about taking a trip overseas or just trying to decide if you can go out to eat.
A number of economic burdens can stop us from enjoying ourselves. We have to worry about bills, mortgages, rent, groceries and more. These burdens are heavy, and can feel even more so depending on which city in the U.S. you call home.
The following is a list of the 10 most expensive U.S. cities to live in, based on data compiled for the Council for Community and Economic Research’s Cost of Living Index. The Index weighed several factors in 308 cities in order to determine the most expensive, including the average cost of rent, price of a home, the cost of specific grocery items, the price of a visit to the doctor and more.
10. Hilo, Hawaii Hilo is the least expensive city on our "most expensive" list. Tourists visiting "The Aloha State" often find themselves never wanting to leave, and who could blame them? The state offers an array of activities from surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling and, for you relax-with-a-good-book types, enjoying the warm weather and the ocean breeze is the perfect way to spend an afternoon.
Price of a home: $488,500 Average Rent: $928 Cost of a Coke: $2.41
Cost of a Dozen Eggs: $3.73
Average Cost of a Visit to the Doctor: $116.11
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV