Update (4:40 p.m.): Updated with Friday closing price.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tekmira Pharmaceuticals (TKMR) soared Friday after the company announced Thursday afternoon the Food & Drug Administration had loosened its clinical hold on the company's developmental ebola drug, TKM-Ebola.
The company announced it had received a verbal commitment from the FDA to ease its hold from a full clinical hold to a partial clinical hold, which "enables the potential use of TKM-Ebola in individuals infected with Ebola virus," according to the Tekmira's statement.
The stock closed up 45.06% to $20.70. More than 28 million shares had changed hands, compared to the average volume of 612,942.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TKMR data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV