NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Thoratec (THOR) plummeted to a 52-week low of $22.80 on Thursday after the medical device manufacturer reported second-quarter earnings and issued full-year guidance that came up well short of analysts' expectations.
Thoratec reported earnings of 43 cents a share on revenue of $118.1 million, while analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected earnings of 43 cents a share on revenue of $128.27 million.
The company also drastically cut its full-year earnings per share guidance to a range of $1.25 to $1.35 from a range of $1.72 to $1.82. Thoratec slashed its full-year revenue guidance to a range of $455 million to $470 million from a range of $520 million to $535 million. The consensus estimate calls for full-year EPS of $1.75 on revenue of $523.42 million.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The stock was down 29.32% to $23.02 at 1:28 p.m. More than 7.5 million shares had changed hands, compared to the average volume of 541,263. THOR data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV