10 Cheapest Health Foods Money Can Buy
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- All right, everyone. It's time to challenge the notion that eating healthy is just too expensive.
Healthy food helps you control weight, prevent disease, regulate digestion and even boost your mood. There's nothing more important than taking care of your own body, and not wanting to pay for healthy food is no longer an excuse to choose junk food.
When you eat fast foods, such as cheeseburgers and milkshakes, you're consuming highly processed foods full of fat, sugar and salt. The harm junk food does to your overall health typically outweighs any nutritional value, which could cost you later in life.
If you think healthy eating on a budget is too hard, then think again. You don't need to snack on $20 bags of goji berries or go on those $360 juice cleanses to be healthy. There are plenty of affordable and healthy foods you can get.
We organized the top 10 based on cost per serving of each food, calculated by using the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and WebMD.
Read on to see the top 10 cheapest healthy foods to help you stretch your dollar, and not your waistband.
#10 - Beets
Cost per serving: 51 cents
This root vegetable cleanses the body and works as a purifier for the blood. It also boosts your mental health and acts as a source of energy. Beets are high in many vitamins and minerals including potassium, manganese, vitamin-B folate, fiber and folic acid, just to name a few.
A half-cup serving contains just 37 calories, and may also improve the health of your colon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV