Puerto Rico Weighs Restructuring Alternative
NEW YORK (The Deal) -- The addition of a potential restructuring alternative for Puerto Rico's public corporations has not produced a clear winner.
The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico's new restructuring framework for the corporations and the possibility of extending Chapter 9 bankruptcy to them both have advantages and disadvantages, sources said.
In June, the commonwealth passed a law commonly known as the Recovery Act that provides a framework for Puerto Rico's public corporations to restructure, which they had no formal way to do before. The act, however, has been plagued by investor litigation.
Partly in response to the lawsuits, Puerto Rico's resident commissioner and congressional representative, Pedro Pierluisi, introduced legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives on July 31 that would amend the U.S. Bankruptcy Code to give Puerto Rico's government the right to authorize some of its public corporations to restructure under Chapter 9. (All 50 states under the Bankruptcy Code can employ Chapter 9, but each state individually decides whether it permits its municipalities to employ the legislation.)For bondholders, both solutions have pros and cons: sources said the Recovery Act provides some elements that are designed to be more creditor-friendly than Chapter 9, while a Chapter 9 extension would remove the uncertainty that comes with a brand new framework. "The commonwealth intentionally drafted its [Recovery] Act to provide creditors a better deal than Chapter 9 requires," one source familiar with the situation said. The source explained that the Recovery Act requires public corporations to maximize the amounts distributable to creditors and also requires them to give creditors a 10-year note entitling them to half of free cash flow.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV