- Adjusted Operating Income within Guidance; Organic Growth and Favorable Product Mix in Industrial and Rail Offset Bad Debt Costs in Metals & Minerals
- Project Orion Execution Progressing Rapidly with Phase I Benefits Expected to Reach High-end of Expectations
- Company Narrows 2014 Adjusted Operating Income Guidance to Range of $170 million to $180 million
CAMP HILL, Pa., Aug. 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Harsco Corporation (NYSE:HSC) today reported second quarter 2014 results. Excluding special items, adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations in the second quarter of 2014 were $0.17. This compares with $0.30 in the second quarter of 2013, which included results from the Company's Infrastructure segment that was divested during the fourth quarter of 2013. Adjusted operating income excluding special items was $41 million, within the guidance range of $40 million to $45 million provided by the Company.
On a U.S. GAAP ("GAAP") basis, second quarter 2014 diluted loss per share from continuing operations was $0.19, which includes Project Orion severance costs, additional costs for exited or underperforming sites, contract termination charges and Infrastructure transaction adjustments. This compares with GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.30 in the second quarter of 2013. The Company's second quarter earnings also included a loss of $3 million ($0.02 per share after tax) from the Brand Energy joint venture, which was impacted by foreign currency translation losses and restructuring costs in the period.
"The second quarter was another solid operating result for Harsco, as Industrial and Rail performed above expectations while Metals & Minerals and Corporate were impacted by a few items that had not been fully anticipated in our guidance," said President and CEO Nick Grasberger. "This performance adds to the strong financial results we reported in the first quarter of the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV