BETHLEHEM, Pa., Aug. 6, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- OraSure Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq:OSUR), a market leader in oral fluid diagnostics, today announced its consolidated financial results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2014.
- Consolidated net revenues for the second quarter of 2014 were $26.4 million, an 8% increase from the comparable quarter of 2013. Consolidated net revenues for the six months ended June 30, 2014 were $49.9 million, a 10% increase from the comparable period of 2013. These increases were primarily due to higher sales of the Company's OraQuick® HCV test, higher revenues from the Company's molecular collection systems subsidiary, DNA Genotek ("DNAG"), higher sales of the Company's cryosurgical systems products and higher licensing and product development revenues.
- Net revenues for the Company's OraQuick® rapid HCV test were $2.2 million and $3.8 million for the second quarter and first six months of 2014, respectively, an increase of 134% from each of the comparable 2013 periods. This growth reflects increasing demand for the product in both the domestic and international markets.
- Net revenues generated by DNAG during the second quarter of 2014 were $4.9 million, a 5% increase from the comparable period in 2013. DNAG net revenues during the six months ended June 30, 2014 were $10.7 million, a 24% increase from the comparable period in 2013. The increase in the quarter was the result of higher sales to academic customers while the increase for the six month period was the result of higher sales to both commercial and academic customers.
- Net cryosurgical systems revenues in the second quarter of 2014 were $4.9 million, an 18% increase over the second quarter of 2013. This increase was primarily due to higher sales in the international over-the-counter ("OTC") market. Net cryosurgical systems revenues for the six months ended June 30, 2014 were $8.9 million, a 22% increase over the comparable period of 2013. This increase was primarily due to higher sales in both the U.S. professional market and the international OTC market.
- Licensing and product development revenues were $775,000 for both the quarter and six months ended June 30, 2014, and represent the recognition of payments under the Company's' HCV collaboration with AbbVie. In exchange for exclusive promotion rights and certain services provided by the Company, the agreement with AbbVie provides for payments totaling up to $75.0 million over the life of the agreement, which runs through December 31, 2019. The first such payment of $15.0 million required under the agreement was received in July 2014. Licensing and product development revenues in 2013 represent royalties paid on domestic outsales of Merck's OTC cryosurgical wart removal product.
- Consolidated net income for the second quarter of 2014 was $2.5 million, or $0.04 per share on a fully diluted basis, which compares to a net loss of $5.3 million, or $0.10 per share, for the second quarter of 2013. Consolidated net loss for the six months ended June 30, 2014 was $3.1 million, or $0.06 per share, which compares to a net loss of $15.5 million, or $0.28 per share, for the comparable period of 2013. The improvement in the Company's bottom line for the quarter and six month period resulted primarily from the inclusion of a $5.5 million payment due under the terms of the termination of a drug assay collaboration with Roche Diagnostics, the higher revenues in each period and lower promotional costs for the OraQuick® In-Home HIV Test.