BERLIN (The Deal) -- Sprint (S) on Tuesday appointed Marcelo Claure as the company's new CEO and indicated it would end its run at T-Mobile USA (PCS), putting a question mark over the future of Deutsche Telekom AG's U.S. division.
Claure, 43, will take over Aug. 11 from Dan Hesse, who has led Sprint since 2007. Claure founded Brightstar Corp., which Sprint backer Softbank bought control of last year for $1.26 billion.
Softbank, the Japanese phone company, had hoped to link Sprint and T-Mobile to create a weighty competitor to AT&T (T) and Verizon Communications (VZ), the two biggest cellular providers. But U.S. regulators are hesitant to see the market cut to three competitors from four and are especially wary of seeing T-Mobile, a cut-rate competitor, disappear. Regulators famously quashed AT&T's 2011 approach for T-Mobile for the same reason.
Sprint's shares collapsed 16.8%, or $1.22, to $6.06 while T-Mobile shares fell 8%, or $2.71, to $31.19. Deutsche Telekom's stock slipped 1.8%, or 0.21 euro, to 11.565 euros ($15.44) in Frankfurt. Softbank lost 3.5%, or 253 yen, to 6,972 yen ($67.93) in Tokyo and would-be T-Mobile suitor Iliad SA fell 6.5%, or 12.35 euros, to 176.65 euros in France.An end to Sprint's interest puts the focus on upstart French mobile provider Iliad, which just days ago confirmed its interest in its U.S. peer. Iliad wants to pay $15 billion to buy 56.6% of T-Mobile from Bonn's Deutsche Telekom, but analysts see little benefit. Deutsche Telekom is expected to either reject the $33 per-share approach outright or possibly enter talks with the hopes of boosting Iliad's offer. Sprint had been expected to offer $40 per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV