NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of Bally Technologies Inc. (BYI) are lower by -0.54% to $77.40 in pre-market trading after the company was downgraded to "'hold" from "buy" at Stifel Financial (SF) today.
The firm cited the takeover offer from Scientific Games (SGMS) and said a competitive bid is unlikely.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 30.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- BALLY TECHNOLOGIES INC's earnings per share declined by 24.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BALLY TECHNOLOGIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.45 versus $2.27 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.35 versus $3.45).
- The gross profit margin for BALLY TECHNOLOGIES INC is rather high; currently it is at 69.90%. Regardless of BYI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.10% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, BALLY TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, BYI has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 16.06% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, although the push and pull of the overall market trend could certainly make a critical difference, we do not see any strong reason stemming from the company's fundamentals that would cause a continuation of last year's decline. In fact, the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BYI Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts