NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Any asset with regular, predictable income can be turned into a high-income security.
We first saw this with Real Estate Investment Trusts, or REITs. What began over 50 years ago with commercial real estate, has now spread deep into the general economy.
You can now buy REITs on many things besides shopping centers. You can buy REITs that own nursing homes, hotels, homes, even cell phone towers. And now the concept is spreading into renewable energy in what's called a "yieldco."
- Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners (BEP - Get Report), first offered in September 2009
- Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure (HASI - Get Report), which went public in June 2013
- NRG Yield (NYLD - Get Report), which came public in September 2013
- Pattern Energy Group (PEGI - Get Report), which came public at the end of September 2013
- Abengoa Yield (ABY), which went public during June
- NextEra Energy Partners (NEP), which went public at the end of June
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts