NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Any asset with regular, predictable income can be turned into a high-income security.
We first saw this with Real Estate Investment Trusts, or REITs. What began over 50 years ago with commercial real estate, has now spread deep into the general economy.
You can now buy REITs on many things besides shopping centers. You can buy REITs that own nursing homes, hotels, homes, even cell phone towers. And now the concept is spreading into renewable energy in what's called a "yieldco."
- Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners (BEP), first offered in September 2009
- Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure (HASI), which went public in June 2013
- NRG Yield (NYLD), which came public in September 2013
- Pattern Energy Group (PEGI), which came public at the end of September 2013
- Abengoa Yield (ABY), which went public during June
- NextEra Energy Partners (NEP), which went public at the end of June
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV