NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of The Walt Disney Company
(DIS) are up 0.18% to $86.91 in after-hours trading following its third quarter earnings results that were ahead of analysts' expectations.
The entertainment company reported a 27% increase in adjusted earnings for the third quarter to $2.24 billion, or $1.28 per share, up from $1.01 per share in the same quarter of 2013, and beating analysts' estimates of $1.17 per share.
Revenue increased 7.6% year-over-year to $12.46 billion for the quarter, higher than the $12.16 billion analysts' expected.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
At Disney-owned sports network ESPN, the company said higher revenue reflected the benefit of the FIFA World Cup soccer tournament.The growth in consumer product sales tied to its movie "Frozen" boosted Disney's results, helping the company's income in its worldwide home entertainment segment.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV