NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Lexmark International (LXK) are flat in early afternoon trade as the manufacturer of laser printers, that also provides enterprise services, has increased its offer for ReadSoft, a Swedish software maker as its bidding war with Hyland Software U.K. continues, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Lexmark raised its bid to 55.50 Swedish kronor ($8.07) a share from July's bid of 50 kronor. The move comes as a response to Hyland's increased offer Monday of 55 kronor a share, the Journal said.
ReadSoft helps businesses simplify and automate their processes.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Net of ReadSoft's cash on hand, the new Lexmark proposal is about $248 million, the company said. It's previous offer was about $224 million. Lexmark said it owns 5.3% of ReadSoft's shares, said the tender offer is still slated to begin August 7 and run to August 28. Settlement is expected to happen September 4, the company said. Lexmark is looking to fold ReadSoft-which made about $117 million in revenue last year-into its Perceptive Software business, adding to its position as a provider of data capture software solutions for back-office processes, the Journal noted. TheStreet Ratings team rates LEXMARK INTL INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate LEXMARK INTL INC (LXK) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, LXK's share price has jumped by 28.11%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 39.61% is the gross profit margin for LEXMARK INTL INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of LXK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, LXK's net profit margin of 4.20% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.50, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.35 is sturdy.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LXK Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.