Meanwhile, Office Depot looks to further expand its margins through the aforementioned cost savings from the OfficeMax merger. Already the company has realized some of these benefits in the first and second quarters of 2014, but it should be noted that Office Depot has managed to expand its gross margin in five of the last six years, and is even higher on average over the past decade than its nearest competitor Staples (SPLS) at 29.0% vs. 27.4%.
Ultimately, Office Depot is facing more tailwinds than headwinds as the company is expected to continue to realize the benefits from its merger with OfficeMax, especially heading into the back-to-school season. Further, the company’s significant cash position of $768 million provides a considerable margin of safety as it represents nearly 28% of the company’s current market cap.
At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.READ MORE: 10 Stocks Carl Icahn Loves in 2014 TheStreet Ratings team rates OFFICE DEPOT INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate OFFICE DEPOT INC (ODP) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- ODP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 0.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 60.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to -$74.00 million or 21.22% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -3.20%.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for OFFICE DEPOT INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 25.08%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -2.50% trails that of the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1537.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$6.66 million to -$109.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ODP Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV