NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's the time of year again when you realize your trusty MacBook, ThinkPad or Pavillion notebook isn't going to make it through another full year - or even a semester. And, it's the time right before computer manufacturers begin introducing brand new, updated models for the holiday shopping season.
Sure, you might be able to make do with a shiny new tablet, but tablets can't do everything a laptop can. That may be one contributing factor to why tablet sales are beginning to sag. According to the latest analysis released by Canalys, worldwide tablet shipments fell approximately 5% in the second quarter of 2014 (48.4 million units) while PCs and notebooks posted a 14% increase.
It might be a safer bet to buy a device sporting a built-in hardware keyboard and mouse and the capability to run sophisticated software programs not available on mobile platforms. In other words - a notebook.
Read More: Apple Gives the Mac a Boost
Thankfully, there are plenty of great choices. Everything from standard to touchscreen models, from large hard drive capabilities to models that store files in the cloud, in nearly every price range from $200 and up.
Although lower prices may lure you in, there's a grim reality concerning less-expensive portables and computing: the less expensive the laptop, the heavier it is. Super-cheap laptops hover in the 4.5 to 5.5 pound range, and someone has to lug that around. Conversely, the less a laptop weighs, the more it will probably cost you. Want slim and sleek? It's going to be more expensive.
Here are TheStreet's choices for the best value notebooks for students as they go back to school.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV