2. Now let's look at Medidata Solutions, which provides cloud-based clinical development solutions for life sciences in the U.S. and internationally.
Medidata Solutions traded up 2.62% on Monday, and closed at $45.01 per share.
- Monday's range: $43.53 - $45.20
- 52-week range: $32.10 - $68.21
- Monday's volume: 402,581
- 3-month average volume: 696,272
Medidata looks good technically, as the overall trend changed back on May 9, when a bullish engulfing signal appeared at the bottom. The trend reversal has confirmed since May, and the stock is now trading back over the 50-day simple moving average. Additionally, Medidata reported positive earnings on July 29, and has continued trading up since.After Medidata reported earnings, the stock's price action traded up 11% from the previous day. The big bullish day was followed by a few days of consolidation and profit taking, and the stock traded back to the t-line. Yesterday's candlestick was a bullish Harami shape, which isn't a super strong signal, but implies positive bullish sentiment. I'd look for an entry above the t-line at $43.54, and I'd use the t-line as my guide on this trade. With that, I'd set my stop just below the t-line, say $43.44. I'd target the 200-day simple moving average, at $51.53, and 14% to the upside. There is some overhead resistance at $48.27, so watch for consolidation at this level. Stay long until you see a confirmed sell signal or a close below the t-line. Read More: Exclusive: Target Sizing Up Digital Deals 3. Lastly, let's look at Zebra Technologies, which manufactures and sells printers and related products worldwide. Zebra traded up 2.79% on Monday, closing at $82.55 per share.
- Monday's range: $80.36 - $82.64
- 52-week range: $43.92 - $87.53
- Monday's volume: 459,064
- 3-month average volume: 528,556
TheStreet Ratings team rates MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC (MDSO) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed ? some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and premium valuation."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- MDSO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 15.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC is currently very high, coming in at 77.93%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 2.75% trails the industry average.
- MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MEDIDATA SOLUTIONS INC reported lower earnings of $0.32 versus $0.35 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.75 versus $0.32).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Health Care Technology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 55.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.11 million to $2.30 million.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $24.10 million or 7.91% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MDSO Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV