Coach reported fiscal fourth-quarter earnings of 59 cents a share, topping forecasts by 6 cents. Investors cheered the higher the higher-than-expected earnings, lifting the stock by 4% to $35.69 in early afternoon trading on Tuesday. Investors focused on these two positives:
- Operating income was $231 million in the fourth quarter ahead of estimates of $203.5 million as compiled by Bloomberg.
- Gross margin in the quarter was 69.4%, topping analysts' estimates by 100 basis points.
Read More: 5 Reasons Why Target's New CEO is Boring Chic
On the earnings call, Coach CEO Victor Luis said the company had sales success with handbags priced at more than $400, which represented 21% of total handbag sales vs. 16% last year. The company also hyped that it will have 150 remodeled locations in department stores by the end of fiscal 2015, its 70 store closures will be concluded by the first half of fiscal 2015, and guidance remains the same as previously announced in July.
Watch More: Burger King is Dismantling McDonald's: By the Numbers
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts