NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of VMware (VMW) and EMC (EMC) are advancing after FBR Capital wrote that VMware would become an acquisition target if it is spun off from EMC, as has reportedly been urged by an activist investor. Meanwhile, EMC could take more steps to enhance shareholder value, FBR Capital believes.
WHAT'S NEW: After The Wall Street Journal reported that hedge fund Elliott Management would push EMC to spin off VMware, FBR Capital analyst Daniel Ives wrote that he thinks that such a spin-off would make VMware "a top acquisition candidate." Among the potential acquirers of VMware in such a scenario are IBM (IBM), Microsoft (MSFT), and Cisco (CSCO), Ives contended. Furthermore, EMC could consider other measures to enhance shareholder value, including a reduction of the company's stake in VMware and an increase in its dividend and/or share repurchases, Ives believes. Meanwhile, EMC's fundamentals appear healthy, as FBR's checks suggest that the company is poised to capitalize on solid trends this year and beyond, the analyst wrote. He raised his price target on EMC to $35 from $33 and kept an Outperform rating on the shares.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: Elliott Management has obtained a stake of over $1B in EMC, The Journal reported on July 21. During its earning conference call on July 23, EMC management said it had heard nothing else from Elliot Management at that point other than the request for a meeting. EMC added, "We are always open and welcome with dialogue with all of our shareholders... and will respectfully listen to them."
PRICE ACTION: In mid-morning trading, EMC rose 0.7% to $29.25 and VMware advanced 1.4% to $99.69.Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV