NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tekmira Pharmaceuticals
(TKMR) shares are up 11.5% to $15.90 on Monday in response to the FDA's announcement that it "stands ready" to work with companies fighting an outbreak of Ebola that has killed over 700 people in six months.
The stock is trading on heavy volume with 6 million shares changing hands in early trading, well ahead of its three month daily average of 390,980 shares.
This announcement raises hopes for Tekmira's TKM-Ebola Phase 1 Ebola treatment, which the agency placed a clinical hold on last month.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
The hold means that the company cannot continue the same clinical trial that the FDA stopped, but the company could propose a new trial.
A senior official at the FDA told Reuters that "the agency would consider proposals for providing treatments under special emergency new drug applications" if the proposed treatment landed on the right side of the agency's cost-benefit analysis.
Analysts at TheStreet believe that investors buying Tekmira stocks in anticipation of benefiting from the potential increased demand may be betting on the wrong horse.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV