5 Steps to a Better Dorm Room for College Freshmen
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Getting ready for a first year in college goes way beyond choosing a major and selecting the right class load. First-year students have to prepare for dorm living, too, and that isn't easy -- especially when it comes to a college budget.
According to a UCLA study, the U.S. had 1.5 million first-time, full-time undergraduate students beginning college at 1,583 four-year institutions nationwide in the fall of 2013.
"In past years, students used to live on ramen noodles and dorm rooms were sparse at best, but that's no longer the case," says Mike Sullivan, director of education for Take Charge America, a Phoenix, Ariz., national nonprofit credit and student loan counseling agency. "Today, retailers aggressively target freshmen to advertise dorm-room 'necessities,' but students are wise to minimize spending, especially if they're borrowing money for college."
Sullivan recommends incoming freshmen and their parents follow these tips, especially concerning what to bring to college and what not to bring:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV