NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Last week, TheStreet brought you a list of the 10 greatest heels in WWE history. But what good would any of these dastardly villains be without a hero to stand in the way of their nefarious schemes?
WWE has a long and storied history of heroic figures for whom fans cheer wildly. Nothing gets a crowd of 20,000 people on their feet and screaming like a babyface finally giving a heel his or her comeuppance.
But who are the best faces (good guys) to ever set foot inside the squared circle? Who are the wrestlers that deserved the loudest cheers and the adulation of the fans? Let's get to the list.
10) Daniel BryanDaniel Bryan is currently out of action thanks to a pair of surgeries on his neck and shoulder, much to the depression of wrestling fans across the world. The bearded superstar finally captured the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 30 only to get injured weeks later and surrender the belts. You could mark the start of Bryan's journey to the top at several different points. His arrival to WWE, his first United States Championship, WrestleMania 28 and SummerSlam 2013 are all legitimate starting points. Regardless of when it started, fans rallied around Bryan in a way that few wrestlers had earned in the previous 15 years. "Yes!" chants were everywhere during Bryan's rise to the top, and not just in the confines of a WWE arena. Michigan State athletes and fans did the chants at football and basketball games. The Seattle Seahawks, Bryan's hometown football team, participated. ESPN even took note of the phenomenon. Fans raucously chant Yes! at the mere mention of Bryan's name during his current absence. WWE constantly craves mainstream, crossover appeal and Bryan was the first superstar to really achieve that since John Cena and possibly CM Punk. Hopefully the fan favorite can return to his previous levels of success when he returns.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts