Genzyme, a Sanofi company (EURONEXT: SAN and NYSE: SNY), today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a supplement to expand the indication for Lumizyme ® (alglucosidase alfa). Lumizyme manufactured at the 4000L scale is now indicated for all Pompe patients of any age or phenotype. The approval of this indication is now consistent with that of the rest of the world, where alglucosidase alfa manufactured at the 4000L is the only scale available. Previously, in the United States, Lumizyme had been approved only for patients with late onset Pompe disease.
“We are thankful to the entire Pompe community who has been on this journey to provide a sustainable, long-term option for Pompe patients in the United States,” said Genzyme President and CEO, David Meeker, M.D. “We are pleased we can now offer alglucosidase alfa produced at the 4000L scale to all patients in the US.”
In the United States, alglucosidase alfa is manufactured at two different production scales. Alglucosidase alfa manufactured at the 160L scale (initial pilot scale) has a brand name of Myozyme ® (alglucosidase alfa) and alglucosidase alfa manufactured at the 4000L (final manufacturing scale) has a brand name of Lumizyme.
Based on the biochemical and clinical data provided as part of the submission, FDA concluded that alglucosidase alfa manufactured at both scales in the US (i.e., Lumizyme and Myozyme) are comparable. The overall safety profile of alglucosidase alfa remains unchanged.Specific updates to the Lumizyme product label include:
- Updated Indication: LUMIZYME ® (alglucosidase alfa) is a hydrolytic lysosomal glycogen-specific enzyme indicated for patients with Pompe disease (GAA deficiency).
- Inclusion of safety and efficacy data from infantile-onset studies
- Removal of the REMS program
- Update to the boxed warning to include infantile-onset specific warning regarding fluid overload.
- Updated to Pregnancy Category C classification
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV