NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Michael Kors (KORS) and Coach (COH) are revving up for the fall season and it looks like each are playing to their strengths in the battle over the handbag and accessories categories.
At Michael Kors, which plays to the "jet set" luxury lifestyle, two trends consumers will see in fall products include black accessories and camouflage products. At Coach, where sales have been struggling, its attempt to remake itself into a "lifestyle" retailer (meaning it sells more than handbags) includes returning to basics, which include leathers and a more classic look, according to retail expert Marie Driscoll.
"Michael Kors rooted in its fashion luxury positioning this season has a fabulous black watch. Most of us don't have a whole lot of black jewelry in our wardrobe ... who better than Michael Kors with his credo for fashion and watches better exemplifies the watch we should buy? Then we will just move on to buy his black bracelet or rings," Driscoll told TheStreet on Friday in a video interview. "Camouflage goes in and out of season. It's very hip now."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV