Granite Construction Incorporated (NYSE:GVA) today reported net income of $13.6 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2014, compared to revised 1 net income of $1.4 million in the second quarter of 2013. Diluted earnings per share in the quarter were $0.34 compared to $0.04 in the prior-year period.
“We are encouraged by the steady growth we have experienced thus far in 2014 as our teams are successfully leveraging opportunities and recent positive trends in all parts of our business,” said James H. Roberts, President and CEO of Granite Construction Incorporated. “Our opportunities to win new business and improve execution on our current work remain a top priority and focus going forward.”
Second Quarter 2014 Results
- Revenue for the second quarter of 2014 increased 6.5 percent to $585.9 million compared with $550.3 million last year.
- Gross profit margin in the second quarter was 14.1 percent compared with 9.0 percent in 2013, driven primarily by improved performance in the Large Project Construction and Construction Materials segments.
- Profit performance was driven by projects reaching profit recognition, dispute resolution, and overall improved project execution in both the Construction and Large Project Construction segments, combined with improved volumes and efficiency gains in the Construction Materials segment.
- Second quarter 2014 profit performance continued to be offset by the ramp of projects which have not reached profit recognition.
- Selling, general and administrative expenses for the second quarter of 2014 increased $4.3 million, to $51.1 million, related primarily to the timing of pre-bid costs, coupled with increased Continuous Improvement investment.
- Net income attributable to non-controlling interests was $8.6 million for the second quarter of 2014, compared with $0.4 million in 2013.
- Total company backlog was $2.6 billion at the end of the second quarter of 2014, down from $2.8 billion last year. This total does not include Granite’s nearly $700-million portion of the successful bid on the I-4 Ultimate project in Florida, which is expected to be added to backlog in the third quarter.
- Balance sheet remains strong with $258.6 million in cash and marketable securities.
- Though Construction backlog increased more than 20 percent to $975.0 million year-over-year, revenue decreased 12.8 percent to $269.2 million, compared with $308.6 million last year. The decrease is attributable to project timing, a change in the mix of power projects from 2013, and weaker-than-anticipated public market activity in the Northwest.
- Gross profit margin for the quarter was 9.2 percent, compared with 7.8 percent in 2013, driven by improved performance across certain markets in the West.
- Large Project Construction revenue increased 34.6 percent to $244.3 million, compared with $181.6 million last year. The increase was a result of job progression in the quarter.
- Gross profit margin for the quarter was 20.8 percent, compared with 11.9 percent in 2013. The improvement was driven by project profit recognition, dispute resolution, and improved project execution.
- Construction Materials revenue increased 20.2 percent to $72.3 million, compared with $60.2 million last year. The revenue increase was attributable to improved volumes related to private sector activity and mixed trends in public markets.
- Gross profit margin for the quarter was 9.4 percent, compared with 6.6 percent in 2013. Gross profit performance was driven by improved volumes and operational efficiencies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV