NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- SeaWorld Entertainment (SEAS) and Southwest Airlines (LUV) are ending a 26-year marketing relationship, a result of what Southwest calls "shifting priorities" for both companies, Bloomberg Businessweek reports.
However, about 30,000 people signed a Change.org petition that urged the airline to stop marketing with the Orlando-based theme park operator, which has come under increasing criticism for capturing and training orca whales in recent years, Businessweeek said.
Shares of SeaWorld Entertainment closed down -1.52% to $27.85 yesterday.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC (SEAS) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 25.90%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 27.27% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Despite the heavy decline in its share price, this stock is still more expensive (when compared to its current earnings) than most other companies in its industry.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income has decreased by 22.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$40.36 million to -$49.43 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.79 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.32, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SEAWORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 13.01%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -23.28% is significantly below that of the industry average.You can view the full analysis from the report here: SEAS Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.