Northeast Utilities (NYSE: NU) today reported earnings of $127.4 million, or $0.40 per share, in the second quarter of 2014, compared with $171 million, or $0.54 per share, in the second quarter of 2013. Second quarter 2014 results include an after-tax charge of $32.1 million, or $0.10 per share, related to Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) orders issued in June 2014 concerning the authorized return on equity for the owners of New England’s electric transmission system. Second quarter results also include after-tax integration costs of $4.5 million in 2014 and $1.8 million in 2013. Excluding those integration costs, NU earned $131.9 million, or $0.42 per share, in the second quarter of 2014, compared with $172.8 million, or $0.55 per share, in the second quarter of 2013.
In the first half of 2014, NU earned $363.3 million, or $1.15 per share, compared with earnings of $399.1 million, or $1.26 per share, in the first half of 2013. Excluding after-tax integration costs, NU earned $373.7 million, or $1.18 per share, in the first half of 2014, compared with earnings of $402.6 million, or $1.27 per share, in the first half of 2013.
Also today, NU narrowed its 2014 earnings guidance to between $2.60 per share and $2.70 per share, including the $0.10 per share transmission reserve.
“While we have joined other New England transmission owners in asking FERC to clarify and rehear certain elements of its June 19 orders, we are encouraged that the commissioners concluded that the continued build-out of the nation’s transmission grid is critical and needs to be encouraged through supportive ratemaking,” said Thomas J. May, NU chairman, president and chief executive officer. “We continue to believe that our transmission construction program provides a wide range of benefits to New England electric customers and will be a cornerstone to achieving our long range guidance of 6-8 percent earnings per share growth.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV