NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Marathon Petroleum Corp. (MPC) are higher by 7.28% to $84.73 in mid-afternoon trading on Thursday, after the company reported a growth in earnings for the 2014 second quarter to $855 million, or $2.95 per diluted share, compared with $593 million, or $1.83 per diluted share for the year ago period.
The oil refining company posted revenue of $26.93 billion versus $25.70 billion from the 2013 second quarter.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected Marathon Petroleum to post earnings of $2.15 per share, on revenue of $24.49 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MARATHON PETROLEUM CORP (MPC) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, increase in stock price during the past year and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." MPC data by YCharts
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV