NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Yum! Brands, Inc.
(YUM - Get Report) are lower by -5.62% to $68.90 today, one day after the company reported the news coverage of its meat supplier, Shanghai Husi Food Co. has caused a "significant, negative impact" of its sales in KFC and Pizza Hut locations in China, and could cut into its global profit, Reuters reported.
The company said that "if the significant sales impact is sustained, it will have a material effect on full year earnings per share."
China is the largest market for Yum! Brands, helping the company to a 19% second quarter rise in earnings per share compared to the same quarter a year ago.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates YUM BRANDS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate YUM BRANDS INC (YUM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income, good cash flow from operations, growth in earnings per share and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 10.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry average. The net income increased by 18.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $281.00 million to $334.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 56.70% to $514.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, YUM BRANDS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -80.10%.
- YUM BRANDS INC has improved earnings per share by 19.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, YUM BRANDS INC reported lower earnings of $2.36 versus $3.37 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.67 versus $2.36).
- In its most recent trading session, YUM has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: YUM Ratings Report