NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Journal Communications
(JRN) shares are climbing in early market trading on Thursday, up 19% to $10.42, after the company announced that it had reached an agreement with E.W. Scripps
(SSP) to merge broadcast operations.
The two companies will spin off their newspaper holdings into a separate company as part of the deal.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
The Journal Media Group will consist of the the Journal Sentinal and the Scripps newspapers and will be headquartered in Milwaukee, WI.
The Journal Communications arm will be merged with Scripps and headquartered in Cincinnati, OH.
The new broadcast company bearing Scripps name is expected to generate $800 million in annual revenue.
Scripps shares are up 9.55% to $21.88 today.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 221.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3.79 million to $12.19 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 12.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.6%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 148.02% to $21.68 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, JOURNAL COMMUNICATIONS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 2.76%.
- The gross profit margin for JOURNAL COMMUNICATIONS INC is rather high; currently it is at 50.00%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 12.61% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JRN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts