MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE:MA) today announced financial results for the second quarter of 2014. The company reported net income of $931 million, up 10%, or 9% adjusted for currency, and earnings per diluted share of $0.80, up 14%, in each case versus the year-ago period. Acquisitions had no impact on earnings per diluted share.
Net revenue for the second quarter of 2014 was $2.4 billion, a 13% increase versus the same period in 2013, both as-reported and adjusted for currency. Net revenue growth was driven by the impact of the following:
- A 13% increase in gross dollar volume, on a local currency basis, to $1.1 trillion;
- An increase in cross-border volumes of 16%; and
- An increase in processed transactions of 12%, to 10.6 billion.
These factors were partially offset by an increase in rebates and incentives, primarily due to new and renewed agreements and increased volumes.
Worldwide purchase volume during the quarter was up 13% on a local currency basis versus the second quarter of 2013, to $821 billion. As of June 30, 2014, the company’s customers had issued 2 billion MasterCard and Maestro-branded cards.“We are pleased with another quarter of solid performance, driven by healthy volume and revenue growth,” said Ajay Banga, president and CEO, MasterCard. “We continue to invest in our strategic initiatives, including acquisitions, while strengthening partnerships with banks, merchants, governments and mobile operators to grow and improve our business and theirs.” Total operating expenses increased 15%, or 14% after adjusting for currency, to $994 million, during the second quarter of 2014 compared to the same period in 2013. Excluding the impact of acquisitions, total operating expenses increased 12%, or 11% after adjusting for currency. The increase was primarily driven by higher investments in people to support strategic initiatives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV