NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Sanofi (SNY) are up 2.24% to $53.35 after the drug maker raised its earnings outlook as it reported an increase in second quarter profit on a strong showing by biotech unit Genzyme and stronger sales of its diabetes treatments, the Wall Street Journal reports.
The company said it expects business earnings per share--adjusted income excluding the impact of acquisitions and divestments--to be up by 6% to 8% this year, as business in emerging markets grows with sales of its vaccines and animal drugs.
In February, Sanofi said it expected business earnings per share to grow 4% to 7%, at constant exchange rates, in 2014, the Journal said.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. Second quarter net profit surged 73% to 777 million euros ($1.04 billion) in the three months through June from 448 million euros a year ago. Business net income increased by 3.9% to 1.54 billion euros. Revenue for the quarter gained 0.9% to 8.08 billion euros, up from 8 billion euros a year ago TheStreet Ratings team rates SANOFI as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SANOFI (SNY) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in net income, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself." STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV